Thursday, October 6, 2011

Clarissssa gets her first visit with the 5/6 this year

Clarissssa, the ball python, has been part of the 4/5/6 classroom since August of 2009. Having a Crew pet is a wonderful part of a class experience and everyone has learned a lot from her. As snakes go, she is social and easy.
She fit in the palm of my hand when I got her. Handling her was new to me, and my daughter, Maggie, helped me learn how best to lift, control, and anticipate movement. Feeding was scary at first. Though eating is all part of the cycle of life, it took time to get used to  the whole process. Clarissssa
(you'll notice my creative spelling of her name--she is a snake after all) is fed on the weekends and not with the kids. She is up to 2 mice per feeding now.
The crew and I  talk about what are her needs. They have learned about keeping the environment clean, humid, and warm for an animal that would survive best in a West African rodent hole.
I remind them that she is a 'giant rib cage' and we must provide a secure foundation and move slowly. We wash before and after to keep her and us healthy. When the two students wish to take her out, this time Emma Lee and Milo, one handles while the other cleans the tank with me.
Each student gets a chance to do these jobs.
Listening to what the kids learn from each other and from being with this exotic animal is enlightening. They all to be more empathetic as some are more cautious and others more exhilarated by their first touch of her skin. Just today one of the students thought he was being licked when another gently said, "no, she is smelling you." Lots of good conversations happen around this beautiful snake.